Miss Pete

One picture I have has always intrigued me. It is one of my favorites. This is that picture's story.
My grandfather, Cal F. Peterson had a younger sister, Dorothy (Pete) Mildred Peterson. Not much is known about her. I am probably the only family member that is aware of her life.
Dorothy was born in 1907. She had two brothers and two sisters, Cal (my grandfather), Bea, Thelma, and Ralph.
Dorothy was evidently an accomplished athlete, as were her other siblings. Decatur, Indiana's high school had a girl's basketball team, unusual for this period of time. The team went four years (1923-1927).....undefeated. Dorothy's sister Bea and cousin Isablel also played but it appears Dorothy was one of the stars.
Dorothy married at 21, died at the age of 23. According to the death certificate she died of a faulty heart valve. A contributory cause was indicated as: Athletic Shock (the cardio-vascular system fails to supply enough oxygen-rich blood to the organs.

She died at the home of her parents, Charles and Maud (my great-grandparents). 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nora Peterson Rodenbeck

The Sunshine Skyway Bridge.

The Stare.